Sunday 11 November 2012

Worthy

At church this morning the Pastor asked us if we were living lives worthy of the freedom we have.

Whoa.

I hadn't really thought of it that way but now I need to add this to my prayer list.  Help me live my life in a way that is worthy of the freedom I enjoy every single day.   A tall order, I thought as we sang Battle Hymn of the Republic.  And later during Amazing Grace, a classic I've sung a thousand times, something else hit me.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.


By God's grace *I* have come through life's trials unscathed.  My little life with my first-world, really-not-problems, problems.  So imagine the power of knowing that God's grace will lead each and every soldier home to their families, or Home to heaven.  War is ugly but the sacrifice that the men and women serving in the military make for each other and for all of humankind is nothing but beautiful.

Speaking of soldiers, I spoke to my Grandfather this morning.  I wrote about his incredible story last year, but to sum up I will steal this from my cousin Keith's Facebook status today: My grandfather - fought in WW II. Shot in the chest, captured, escaped, and then walked across China to Burma. Amazing. 92 years old and still lives on his own. Awesome. 


Today there is a ceremony at the local Legion, he told me.  His hearing is getting pretty bad so we didn't talk for too long.  He was doing his morning exercises when the phone rang and he hadn't yet had his breakfast!  I was able to thank him for all he had done and wish him a wonderful day before saying goodbye.  Such a cool guy.

Take a minute to thank someone you know in the armed forces, past or present.  Reflect on the sacrifices that have been made on our behalf and be grateful.  Maybe by God's grace, we humans aren't such a lost cause after all.

1 comment:

Carolee said...

Thanks for the reminder. It's easy to forget just how much we have until we take a look at somewhere like Syria. We pretty much live in paradise!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...