Thursday 29 November 2012

My Top Ten

In case you were wondering, we all got good sleep last night.  Nobody woke up, nobody woke anybody else up, Liliane didn't fall off the top bunk, all is calm, all is bright.

Hallelujah!

On to Christmas movies.  While attempting to stretch my triceps at the end of a particularly energetic cardio class, I was watching one of the bundled up babies trying to crawl.  The poor kid's flailing inspired me to crack a joke to one of my Mama friends:  "I can't get up! I can't get up!" à la A Christmas Story.  She just looked at me, brows a-furrowed.  I tried again: "You know, the Red Ryder BB gun? Ralphie? You'll shoot your eye out?"  Nope, no idea.

This embarassing moment experience inspired me to share some of my favourite Christmas movies with you, dear reader(s).  Just in case some of you people don't know what you're missing.

Also, it will help you get my lame jokes.

1. It's A Wonderful Life
I look forward to watching this every year.  As soon as I hear the opening strains of a Christmassy Buffalo Gals Woncha Come Out Tonight, a cozy comfort settles on my shoulders like a warm sweater.  Or a steaming glass of rum punch.  My all-time #1.



2. Scrooge
I fly my cheeseball flag with pride when I tell you that this is my favourite telling of the Dickens classic.  It's a MUSICAL.  With ALBERT FINNEY. Enough said.  Herewith is December the 25th, a song that will never leave your brain.  You're welcome.

3. A Christmas Story
When they wake up on Christmas morning and open their eyes? That's exactly what Christmas morning felt like to me in the days before coffee was more exciting than Santa.  Also, "And all was right with the world."  Yes, EXACTLY. 

4. Miracle on 34th St
I like the new version almost as much but there is something special about the black and white.




5. White Christmas
Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary frickin' Clooney.  And a great story with war heroes and dancing and a bunch of songs you already know.  The penultimate classic.


6. Love Actually
My favourite scene from this movie.  One of my favourite scenes of all time in any movie.  And not just because that actor goes on to play a tortured hero in Walking Dead.  Although that helps.


7. The Grinch
We used to get our Christmas tree with my Dad on Friday night and get home in time to watch The Grinch on CBC. Back when Christmas specials aired in December.

TRIVIA ALERT: Boris Karloff did the narration but not the singing.  Recognize the voice?  He is also  Tony the Tiger.  They're GREEEEAT! 

8. Snall One / Mickey's Christmas Carol
OK so it's actually called Small One but even last year Liliane was calling it Snall One.  We watched it about 79863567 times.  It's sweet, although good luck explaining what a tanner does to a 4 year old.

Snall One is on the DVD with Mickey's Christmas Carol.  Where Tiny Tim still dies in one scenario.  Awkward.


9. Charlie Brown
Linus totally nails it.  Still brilliant.  Also one of our favourite soundtracks around here.  Stéphane can be heard singing this semi-regularly.


10. Die Hard
I know, I know.  But I am an action movie girl at heart and this is the original, the all-time best.  Bruce Willis, Bonnie Bedelia (who we currently adore in Parenthood) and ALAN RICKMAN.  Love love love.  Merry Christmas to me!


Special Mention: Scrooged
Stéphane's favourite Christmas movie.  And really, what's not to love.


BONUS: while I was searching for The Grinch, I found THIS:


What in the WHAT? I had no idea this even existed.  Liliane is currently a-sceered of the Grinch (after watching it about 27 times already this year) so I will for surely not show her this.  Although the Grinch/Halloween combo would make her little head explode with excitement.  Maybe in a year or two.  Or five.

I found a few more lists while I was looking around.  In case you need more ideas:



And NO, I didn't forget Christmas Vacation.  While my husband and my MOTHER find this one hilarious, it's not my favourite.   Christmas disasters just give me the sad feeling. Don't even talk to me about Bad Santa.

So there you have it!  

Any favourites that I missed?  What is on your must-see holiday viewing list?

6 comments:

Vanessa Z. said...

Love your list! Mine is TOTALLY different -- I don't even think that I have seen half of those! Need to change that. I love The Grinch and it is currently on repeat here. Tried to get Logan to watch the real life one, but no dice.

Theresa said...

Really!? I think I know what your next post should be about! Inquiring minds want to know!

Alan Bacchus said...

Nice list. The Hudsucker Proxy is essential viewing for me. If you haven't seen it, it's sublime!

Theresa said...

Oooh, Mr. Bacchus. I take that as high praise from Mr. Movie himself! Will add Hudsucker Proxy to my must-see list.

AustenWodehouse said...

Love your list, mine is fairly similar with It's a Wonderful Life on top (I love that scene in Love Actually too it is so sweet, sad & romantic).
My list would also include the Rankin/Bass Frosty The Snow Man. Rankin/Bass Rudolph the Red Nosed reindeer,
Meet me in St. Louis
The Shop Around the Corner
A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim
Holiday Inn
and the Polar Express

Maguiresaunt said...

I hate it when you tell someone "you'll shoot your eye out" and they stare blankly at you. What's wrong with you people?? Haven't you seen the classics? :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...