Monday 31 August 2009

September. Still Summer but Mostly Fall.

The big cement planters lining Jean Talon street were so cheerful looking in June. The colours, once a joyful confirmation of a new, less complicated season, have started to fade just a little. The perky blooms are still going strong, but their heads bob on gangly stems after growing and growing all summer long. A few brown curly leaves skitter across the sidewalk to collect in the corners of front-yard gardens. If you squint, it still looks like summer. But it's the details that give it away.

This is a bittersweet time of year. I so cherish the freedom of the summer months, the possibilities, the pursuit of the perfect patio dinner. Not to mention the sunshine! And sandals! I'm really not ready for it to be over. But, on the other hand, I love the cool nights and clear days, the leaves changing colour and everything around back-to-school (even though I haven't been a student in 11 years). Plus I'm really sick of my summer wardrobe now - can I wear my new jeans yet?

But when faced with the evidence, the little signs that the estival season is fading, I can't help but sigh. It happens every year. It signals back-to-school for my brain, time to get down to business. No more mental goofing off, sleeping in and watching cartoons all day. And while I'm keen to learn (a schoolie as my best friend Julie used to tease), I just need a day or two more of heat, BBQ, cold drinks and trashy magazines. THEN I'll get serious. OK?

Speaking of serious, this summer will be known for serious cuteness. The summer we got to meet Asher and then introduce him to Liliane.





He was thrilled. Really, I could tell.

There are more where those came from, I owe y'all a post on our NYC trip plus the birthday party we went to on Saturday. Three words: LIFE. SIZE. DORA.
Back soon!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...